The UVA LGBTQ Center will recognize International Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDOR) 2020 on Friday, November 20th. TDOR serves to memorialize the trans people who have been murdered as a result of transphobic violence and to draw attention to the continued violence that trans people endure. We remember all the trans siblings we have lost to violence throughout the past year, and throughout history. Check out this page for different ways to participate and learn more.
Attend the Virtual Vigil - Friday, November 20th at 6:00pm
Community members will come together to read the names of the trans siblings we have lost in 2020 and to share written works that celebrate their lives. All community members are welcome to register and attend.
View our infographic virtually or on Peabody Lawn from 12-5pm
- 0.6% of US Adults identify as transgender/gender non-conforming. That's about 1.4 million people.
- 78% of trans/GNC people have reported harassment.
- Trans/GNC people are 3.7 times more likely to experience anti-LGBTQ+ police violence.
- The majority of names below are Black and Latina trans women. Trans women of color are 6 times more likely to experience violence.
- Make public spaces/clubs/organizations trans-inclusive.
- Attend trainings/workshops from the LGBTQ center.
- Write letters to legislators asking to create and enforce policies protecting trans people.
- Never "out" trans people. Let people come out at their own time and protect the safety of other trans people
Dustin Parker • Neulisa Luciano Ruiz • Yampi Méndez Arocho • Monika Diamond • Lexi • Johanna Metzger • Serena Angelique Velázquez Ramos • Layla Pelaez Sánchez • Penélope Díaz Ramírez • Nina Pop • Helle Jae O'Regan • Tony McDade • Dominique "Rem'mie" Fells • Riah Milton • Jayne Thompson • Selena Reyes-Hernandez • Brian "Egypt" Powers • Brayla Stone • Merci Mack • Shaki Peters • Bree Black • Summer Taylor • Marilyn Cazares • Dior H Ova • Queasha D Hardy • Aja Raquell Rhone-Spears • Kee Sam • Aerrion Burnett • Mia Green • Michelle Michellyn Ramos Vargas • Felycya Harris • Brooklyn Deshuna • Sara Blackwood • Angel Unique • trans sibings lost throughout the world